3 ways to keep your wardrobe decluttered

              Image via pinterest

If you follow me on twitter you may have already seen me tweet about this, It was a sad day last week when I finally came to realise I own way too many clothes, the final push into making me declutter my wardrobe came when my clothes rack collapsed. So since then I have been donating, selling and asking myself when even was the last time I wore this? In a bid to down size my wardrobe and believe me having to declutter this amount of clothing is not at all a fun task. I have convinced myself that I will keep my wardrobe clutter free and organised from now on and to do so I am going to use these methods to help me...

The one in, one out method
I'm not too sure how well I would personally stick to this method as you have to be strict with yourself, but it certainly helps to keep your wardrobe at a sensible size. After going though a major declutter, one way to keep your wardrobe manageable is by replacing any new purchases with an item from your wardrobe and no I'm not saying purchasing that amazing new trench coat and ditching a pair of socks counts, for best results replace your new purchases with similar items.

The backward hanger trick
This is a super easy way to determine what you aren't wearing, start by flipping all your hangers with the opening pointing towards you. As you wear something place it back into your wardrobe 'normally' with the hanger opening pointing away from you. After a period of time you will notice certain items of clothing in which you aren't wearing. 
Although they may look pretty on the hanger, they are taking up valuable place in your wardrobe, so when it comes to that next declutter either recycle, donate or sell.

The I can only buy with what I sell 
When it comes to saving I have to be strict with my money as you may or may not know I am currently saving to travel America for a couple months. Clothes, clothes are my biggest downfall when it comes to saving, So I came up with this method which I guess you could say is similar to the one in, one out method but instead you can only purchase new clothing with the money you earn by selling items from your wardrobe. Meaning any money you earn from your job can be put aside and into your savings. 
I'm fully aware you wouldn't be able to keep this up all the time, as the money you earn selling your clothes is never going to be enough to keep purchasing new items that you may or may not need but for that short period of time when your saving for a holiday, car, etc it seems like a win, win situation as you are still saving your pay packets, decluttering your wardrobe of clothes you no longer wear and getting to purchase new ones without dipping into your savings! 

Let me know in the comments if you guys have any good tips on keeping your wardrobe decluttered.

9 comments:

  1. I never heard of the backward hanger trick. Right now I really want to go to my wardrobe and check it if this theory applies to me. Find me at http://www.igaberry.com/ & https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/igaberry-13323143
    Have a lovely day, Iga x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been really strict with myself recently. I emptied my whole wardrobe out and forced myself to throw out whatever I know I won't wear again. I'm a bit of a clothes hoarder but I felt much better after clearing some room. At least I can get hangers in and out now without having to squeeze them in! I really should try the backwards hanger tip though!

    www.sophieslittlesecrets.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wardrobe is literally the must cluttered and disorganised thing in existence.. I love that backwards hanger trick, what a good idea!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha never thought of half of these! Such a good idea! Followed! X


    Chilled summer evening look over at-
    hailandharmony.blogspot.ie
    // BLOGLOVIN

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of the backward hanger trick! Such a good idea and a good way to realise what you do and don't wear. Your blog header is seriously cool btw!

    Beth x

    Bethany Georgina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blog. Thank you for replying to my Tweet about discovering new blogs to read and follow. Definitely one to watch, love your style.

    Georgie
    xoxo

    TheLipstickDaily

    ReplyDelete
  7. My wardrobe is desperate for a sort out....you've definitely inspired me to start, thanks for sharing the tips!
    Dimples Diaries // Sustainable Fashion & Lifestyle Blog
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to clean up badly! Will definitely be using the one in, one out method. Thanks for the tips! x
    eastofsiam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are really unusual tips that i reckon would be very effective!
    I must try them some day, i've heard of the hanger trick, and it works for me, but i need to be strict and adopt the one in one out "policy" Haha!
    Thanks for sharing!

    x, Carina
    Running White Horses | Fashion + Travel

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.